Skip to main content

Love: the Ultimate Pedagogy

I did not intend to love them; I did not particularly want to love them.
I was never the bright-eyed rookie teacher out to change the world, one student at a time. I thought my job was to do the serious work of scholarship and academia. I was a professional — a high school English teacher. I was Miss Roberts, not your cookie-baking, kid-loving aunt. 
But against my will and what I thought was my better judgment, I began to discover that I did love my students. At first I thought it was a surprising, pleasant side-effect of hanging out with the same people every week for nine months, but I did not consider it a valuable part of teaching. It seemed too flaky, too silly to even say out loud.
The pivot point came after I changed schools, 15 years into my career. I loved my first job at Kellogg High School, my beloved hometown, but for a variety of reasons, in year 16 I made the move to the big city of Boise, 400 miles away. The transition was excruciating. I might as well have been a first-year teacher again. I had gotten used to teaching students who came into my classroom familiar with my reputation, my personality, and my expectations. Both the interpersonal and the professional elements of my new job were overwhelming. I quite literally had trouble finding time to do anything but plan and grade in my hours away from school, and I did not find my emotional footing with some classes until April. Only in retrospect can I see that the nine months that made up my 16th year teaching were truly what I needed to be reborn as the kind of reflective, intentional, skilled, and deliberately loving teacher that I had been longing to be.
There came a day, during my third year at Timberline High School, my 18th year teaching, when I was walking down the hall and it suddenly struck me that I felt safe and at home in this place. I knew from my college exposure to Maslow that my creativity and ability to problem solve would be fostered by this sense of personal and emotional safety. I know this was partly about developing that reputation again, but mostly, it was about beginning to love again. And it was about consciously fostering a loving environment and boldly articulating that love to my students.
I finally realized that love is for flakes and fools and teachers who want students to learn.
Now I take a proactive, bold, unapologetic approach to loving my students. I begin our first day together with these words: “I am Miss Roberts, and I intend to love you.” I wait just a beat or two and then add, “don’t worry, I don’t love you yet.” They usually laugh, but they quickly find out that love is a part of my vocabulary, and this isn’t a subject I’m going to drop. I work hard to establish a climate of compassion, grace, and trust, so that any talk of love is backed up by procedures and practices that support my opening words.
By the end of the first quarter they have told me what they believe. Some of them have failed to turn in half of their assignments, and some are wondering why I don’t give more homework. Some have made me laugh, too loudly, at some irreverent comment. Some say hello every time they enter, and some thank me every time they exit. And through this lovely haze of teenage craziness and unpredictability, I have, almost certainly, begun to love them. 
By the end of third quarter, my love is so firmly established that I begin to feel sentimental about their impending departure from my life. I feel the loss, weeks before they go — an inevitable side-effect of loving them. 
But they will go, as they should, moving on to all the challenges and joys that come after high school. Because I have chosen to love them, their leaving will break my heart, just a little . . . and it’s totally worth it.
In 1988 I didn’t intend to love them — didn’t even know I could love them. But in 2020, I embrace this love, I chase after this love, firm in my belief that the collision of love and excellence is the best possible blueprint for effective teaching and learning.   

P.S. I wrote most of these words long before anyone had ever heard of Covid-19. I was already beginning to miss my kids before we stopped school on March 13th, and the idea that we will miss out on our last eight weeks together — well that’s just breaking my heart. Still, it makes me all the more certain that building loving relationships with my students is the best possible teaching strategy. 

Comments

  1. Wonderfully expressed Laur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an amazing blueprint for the meaning and process of a life worth loving! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In March 2017, Dr. Bryan Bailey, D.D.S. an Oral Surgeon in Amarillo, TX removed my4 oral implants, the rest of the screw that was left in my mouth in June 2016,and the crowns that covered 5 of my front lower teeth. The metals in my mouth had corroded and were described as if I had a car battery in my mouth with the electrical current sand saliva. I had significant bone loss in my lower mandible once again. My dentist constructed a temporary partial plate made out of nylon and plastic to see if I noticed a difference after the metal was all removed. I used Dr Itua herbal medicines before and after surgery to help with pain and used to cure my genital herpes as well and Strontium to supplement my body. My body has healed very well and Dr Itua herbal supplement helps boost my immune system. I also had a very dry mouth before this surgery, and now I don’t have dry mouth.
    As of right now, I feel as though I am on the right track to healing and I like to share Dr Itua contact on here for everyone can see more research being done , Dr Itua knowledge is from God to use natural remedy to increase our quality of life without side effect and to put an end to all the symptom. Help share this across all health blogs Dr Itua Email contact drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I want patients to learn about natural healing and also learn how to manage the symptoms in ways that are beneficial to our bodies as a whole!
    Dr Itua can cure herpes, Parkinson, ALS, hepatitis, infertility, HIV, HPV, lupus, ms, kidney disease, diabetes, cancers and other health problems you may encounter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion

I'm Counting

I can picture myself as a preschooler (back when preschool literally meant "before school"), discovering that I could count all the way to 100. What a joyful revelation! Forty-some years later, counting is still an important part of my life. I find comfort and joy in numbers.  I love watching the balance on my mortgage go down--even though it moves very, very slowly. And budgeting night is something I look forward to every month. In fact, I've been known to use it as a reward for myself: grade 20 essays and I get to budget! When I have a pile of essays to grade I make stacks of five or ten (depending on how long the essays are), and I give myself a reward for every stack (10 minutes to eat or watch television, for example).  To manage those really big jobs (like the senior research papers, which take about an hour each) I use a quota system. Once upon a time I thought grading 15 research papers in a week was a reasonable quota, but then my AP numbers grew

Believe in Your Seed

Twenty-five years ago, she was a student in my 10th-grade English class in Kellogg, a small mining town in Idaho’s panhandle. Now, she is an educator herself  — an elementary teacher in the same large district where I teach high school English. And today, she stood in front 3000 employees of the Boise School District and delivered a keynote address. Her speech was, to say the least, inspiring. It was expertly crafted — full of story, wit, insight, and charm. Her delivery was seamless, vivid, funny, and, quite frankly, better than any such talk I have heard in 31 years of opening meetings. (I say this as someone who is particularly passionate about public speaking. In fact, public speaking has become one of my greatest passions — both as a teacher who helps students craft presentations, and as someone who dreams of doing exactly what Sonia Galaviz did today.) As she spoke, I experienced her speech on several levels. I was the veteran teacher inspired by a somewhat younger t