Skip to main content

Believe in Your Seed



Twenty-five years ago, she was a student in my 10th-grade English class in Kellogg, a small mining town in Idaho’s panhandle. Now, she is an educator herself  — an elementary teacher in the same large district where I teach high school English. And today, she stood in front 3000 employees of the Boise School District and delivered a keynote address.


Her speech was, to say the least, inspiring. It was expertly crafted — full of story, wit, insight, and charm. Her delivery was seamless, vivid, funny, and, quite frankly, better than any such talk I have heard in 31 years of opening meetings. (I say this as someone who is particularly passionate about public speaking. In fact, public speaking has become one of my greatest passions — both as a teacher who helps students craft presentations, and as someone who dreams of doing exactly what Sonia Galaviz did today.)


As she spoke, I experienced her speech on several levels. I was the veteran teacher inspired by a somewhat younger teacher. I was an educator from a small town watching her small-town student speak to one of the largest school districts in the state. (Go Wildcats!) And I was her teacher. I was someone who played some small part in her education a quarter century ago. When she finished and the crowd surged to their feet, I locked eyes with my brother who was standing 50 feet away. He, too, taught this young lady, and in our short look at one another I saw our mutual joy and pride — our awe at being part of this moment that no one else in this large building was experiencing in quite the same way. I didn’t even try to hold back my tears.


This was a believe-in-your-seed moment if ever there were one.


When my dad was in his late twenties, he planted his first garden. A week after planting those first seeds, he went out to check on their progress and, seeing no sign of green shoots, he began to gently dig in the ground, looking for evidence of growth. Then he heard the voice of his grandfather, Gus, who happened to live next door. “What are you doing, Burt?” Grandpa Gus asked. My father sheepishly explained his intentions, and then his grandfather said, “Burt, you’ve got to believe in your seed.” My father turned that lesson into a sermon that has lived on in my family for many decades. It is a reminder for all of us to believe that our work matters and that the seeds we sow into our students can have amazing results.


When I was the very young Miss Roberts teaching the even younger Sonia Galaviz, 400 miles and half a lifetime away, I could never have imagined a day such as this day. But that’s the point. The lovely and talented Sonia is nothing short of spectacular, and she surely makes this middle-aged teacher’s buttons burst with pride. And yet, she is only one of thousands of students who have passed through my doors. As Sonia herself reminded us today, it is our job to see each of our students. We must see them, and they must know that they have our compassionate notice. We must believe that the seeds we plant each year in these students will come to fruition in countless ways, most of which we will never see, and some of which will go far beyond our imagination. Just like Grandpa Gus said, we must believe in our seeds.

Comments

  1. So well written Laurie! Sonia was actually really good friends with my sister for a while. I haven't seen her in years, so this was nice to read and get a small insight into her current life. Well done Miss Roberts, you had a part in many of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Sonia is definitely a superstar!

      Delete
  2. You're awesome Boise...truly inspiring. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish, I wish, I wish. I've heard so many awe-inspiring stories like this one as I enter my 20th year as a special educator. I have a thousand small stories, short scenes that have accumulated over the years, but no big story. I believe I am making a difference. I hope I'm making a difference, but I'm afraid I have no follow up story......... yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion

Love: the Ultimate Pedagogy

I did not intend to love them; I did not particularly want to love them. I was never the bright-eyed rookie teacher out to change the world, one student at a time. I thought my job was to do the serious work of scholarship and academia. I was a professional — a high school English teacher. I was Miss Roberts, not your cookie-baking, kid-loving aunt.  But against my will and what I thought was my better judgment, I began to discover that I did love my students. At first I thought it was a surprising, pleasant side-effect of hanging out with the same people every week for nine months, but I did not consider it a valuable part of teaching. It seemed too flaky, too silly to even say out loud. The pivot point came after I changed schools, 15 years into my career. I loved my first job at Kellogg High School, my beloved hometown, but for a variety of reasons, in year 16 I made the move to the big city of Boise, 400 miles away. The transition was excruciating. I might as well have been