Skip to main content

Run . . . for the Love


I was no more than eight or nine years old when I first began to feel it--the yearning to run. I don't mean the kind of running that little kids typically do--those short spurts of speed that are a natural part of play (or at least were a natural part of play, when I was kid). I mean slowing down and running long. I mean getting into a rhythm and letting the steps carry me for minute upon minute upon minute. I remember imagining what it would be like to have the stamina to run around the nearby baseball field for long stretches of time, and I even remember trying it a time or two . . . and quickly realizing that my body's stamina did not live up to my mind's imagination.

I ran track (badly) in junior high and high school--too slow to be even a mediocre sprinter but too lazy to run distance. (Plus, really, to be a competitive distance runner you have to have speed.)

In my college years and through my mid-20s I dipped my toes in the world of distance running, but, as I wrote about in this entry in 2012, I had yet to discover a key element: I don't need a running partner to enjoy a run.

Over the last 18 years I have considered myself a sometimes-runner. My cousin Tammy thinks I should change that phrase on my Twitter profile, now that I am in the midst of a pretty successful run streak (957 days and counting), but some superstitious instinct has me holding on to it: Laurie Roberts--sometimes-runner :)

One thing, above all others, have I learned about myself in the last 18 years. I love to run. I yearn to run. I long for the one or two or three-hour run. When I drive by runners I want to join them. Sure, some days it is hard to get out the door, and some runs are just plain hard or frustrating or painful, but I am never, ever, ever sorry for a run. Never. Ever.


P.S. I used to think that anyone who gave running a good try (at least six weeks) would be bound to love it the way I do. I know now this is wrong. Kudos to you who who find your own thing to love, and to those of you who run without the love--my deepest admiration.



Comments

  1. You're far from being the "sometimes-runner."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This is My Story

In the spring of 1986 I told the story of my brother’s proposal as a part of my lesson on Shakespeare’s Sonnet 29 — a lesson that I was delivering in my English methods course as a senior at the University of Idaho.

Ten years and hundreds of students later, I was still teaching a version of that lesson to my freshmen at Kellogg High School, and the story had grown to be a more integral, a more intentional, a more dramatic part of that lesson. This story brought some sort of magic to my classroom. Students leaned in, faces and postures transformed, and sometimes tears welled up in their eyes. It was the best day of the school year.

When I moved to Timberline High School in the sixteenth year of my career, I was reluctant to bring my sonnet lesson to this new venue. Moving to a new school had brought an unexpected dip in my confidence. Storytelling calls for a certain amount of vulnerability, and I just wasn’t sure I had enough courage to go to that vulnerable place. One day I took the r…

Reflections on Running: Part One

Once upon a time, a girl started running. She was nursing a broken heart, and she needed to do something hard and rewarding. (Is easy ever rewarding? Hmmm, I wonder.) She stepped out of her back door and ran until she estimated she had gone as far as she could go . . . and still make it home. Later she discovered she had run just a little over a mile on that day.
Over the next three years she ran, sometimes with consistency — three or four days a week — sometimes with month-long gaps in between, and, during a particularly satisfying stretch, 5-6 days a week, training for two marathons in one year.
A pulmonary embolism in year six (and a scary doctor) slowed down her progress, and a demanding job made it easy to spend several months each year not running.
But still . . . every time she saw a runner on the road, she looked longingly. She remembered the joy of listening to footfalls landing, one after another, for miles and miles and miles. She remembered the rhythm of breath and beats an…

Surely God is in This Place

A friend wrote today to tell me how our music had been a "necessary balm" during her stressful week. She described some of the events of her week, and I would have to say "stressful" is an understatement. Still, I was delighted to hear that our music had brought her some peace in the midst of it all.

But it was her final sentence that has lasted throughout my day: surely God is in this place.

I had checked my email, while my students watched a short film clip, and when I read that phrase I felt it down to the soles of my feet. I felt its impact so profoundly that I had to put it away for later. The lights were about to come up.

So tonight I went to her message again: surely God is in this place.
Surely God is in this place.

Of course I know this. I know He is an omnipresent God. I know He is sovereign. I know He has me (and He has you) in the palm of His hand. I know it.

But somehow my friend's words--coming as they did after a story of mishap and injury--helped me k…