Skip to main content

The Half-Essay (aka Interrupted Essay)

The half-essay was born around my 20th year of teaching (eight years ago, now). 

As an AP literature teacher, I have always started the year with a poetry unit that focuses on explicating the kinds of challenging poetry that appears on the AP lit exam. Naturally this explication begins with a focus on discussion and applying various strategies for navigating through these challenging poems. But about a week into the process we begin to focus on turning these explications into essays. 


This year we began the poetry unit by working our way through three sonnets (a form that often appears on AP multiple-choice exams, as well as the free response section of the exam). As I prepared for our first essay, I gave students a sample 9 essay (the highest score an essay can receive on the AP scale) written in response to the sonnet "Thou Blind Man's Bluff," by Sir Philip Sidney. Over a 45-minute period, they studied and discussed this essay in detail (independently, in silent discussion, and then in whole-class debrief). 


As this was a block period (106 minutes), I was able to move directly into the half-essay process. (They knew from the beginning of the period that this was coming.) The instructions for the half-essay went like this:



  1. Select one of the other sonnets we have been studying (not "Thou Blind Man's Mark"). 
  2. You have 25 minutes to write.
  3. Write a brief introduction and thesis statement.
  4. Analyze the first eight lines of whichever sonnet you have chosen (probably one or two body paragraphs).
  5. Do not write a conclusion. 
  6. Emulate the qualities of the 9 essay we have been studying today.
As this is our first writing assignment--and their first exposure to the half-essay--I always open the floor for questions. Without the fail, the first question is: "How will this be graded?" It's a great question, of course. 

I read these half-essays, giving feedback and assigning a score on the 9-point AP scale. As I am reading, I watch for two or three trends--weaknesses that occur repeatedly throughout the stacks of essays. Then I design a lesson or two that addresses these weaknesses. Finally, I return the half-essays and give them another 25 minutes to write. They do not revise the half they had already written. Instead they use this time to finish the essay, presumably applying the feedback from the first half of the essay, as well as the skills we targeted in our additional lessons. They get another score on the 9-point scale, this one based solely on the second half of the essay, and this becomes the actual grade for the assignment.

My takeaways:
  1. I get to give feedback in the middle of an essay, which, it seems to me, increases the chances students will read and apply that feedback.
  2. I get to give instruction in the middle of an essay, which makes the first half of the essay an effective formative assessment.
  3. I can grade half-essays faster that full essays, so the feedback (and the chance to apply it) comes more quickly.
  4. The protocol is pretty simple, and I think it could easily be adapted to other grade levels, other writing modes, and even disciplines other than ELA.


(My brilliant friend Rhonda Urquidi has done a version of this assignment, and I believe she coined the term "interrupted essay," which I think is really cool way to think of this process.)

Comments

  1. Keep telling your story. It's an important one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mac. I love that you have my back.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion

Love: the Ultimate Pedagogy

I did not intend to love them; I did not particularly want to love them. I was never the bright-eyed rookie teacher out to change the world, one student at a time. I thought my job was to do the serious work of scholarship and academia. I was a professional — a high school English teacher. I was Miss Roberts, not your cookie-baking, kid-loving aunt.  But against my will and what I thought was my better judgment, I began to discover that I did love my students. At first I thought it was a surprising, pleasant side-effect of hanging out with the same people every week for nine months, but I did not consider it a valuable part of teaching. It seemed too flaky, too silly to even say out loud. The pivot point came after I changed schools, 15 years into my career. I loved my first job at Kellogg High School, my beloved hometown, but for a variety of reasons, in year 16 I made the move to the big city of Boise, 400 miles away. The transition was excruciating. I might as well have been

I'm Counting

I can picture myself as a preschooler (back when preschool literally meant "before school"), discovering that I could count all the way to 100. What a joyful revelation! Forty-some years later, counting is still an important part of my life. I find comfort and joy in numbers.  I love watching the balance on my mortgage go down--even though it moves very, very slowly. And budgeting night is something I look forward to every month. In fact, I've been known to use it as a reward for myself: grade 20 essays and I get to budget! When I have a pile of essays to grade I make stacks of five or ten (depending on how long the essays are), and I give myself a reward for every stack (10 minutes to eat or watch television, for example).  To manage those really big jobs (like the senior research papers, which take about an hour each) I use a quota system. Once upon a time I thought grading 15 research papers in a week was a reasonable quota, but then my AP numbers grew