Skip to main content

Building Songs

As a part of celebrating my 50th year of life, I decided to make my fourth independent CD. I considered some other options for celebrating--mostly vacation options, with destinations like Hawaii or the Caribbean (places I have never been). But it occurred to me that the most enjoyable trips I have ever taken have been trips to the recording studio.

And so, I set off on another recording adventure. I spent a day in March and another in late June meeting with my producer/engineer, the awesomely talented Dean Baskerville, working on pre-production. Out of these two days we came up with the idea of making two CDs instead of one--a Christmas CD and a worship CD--and working on them simultaneously. 

(Sidenote: For a variety of reasons, we don't anticipate either project being done this year. In other words, you won't get a new Laurie/Tammy CD for Christmas 2014 . . . unless things fall into place differently than we currently expect. You can go ahead and pray on that, if you'd like.)

Our two days of pre-production resulted in six songs that were ready for the next stage (three for each project). During the pre-production days we had recorded scratch keyboard and scratch vocals for each song. These "scratch" tracks will go away once we have recorded everything else. Their job is to create a form of the song--with the key, tempo, and melody in place, as well as length and order of the moving parts (verses, choruses, etc.), but the keyboard and vocal tracks will be replaced with better versions later on. 

So armed with our six songs and joined by my partner in crime and talented cousin, Tammy McMorrow, I returned to the studio in July to continue the process of building songs. We were joined on all four days by Jeramy Burchett. Jeramy played drums on my last two CDs, and we are so blessed to have him doing that again. However, he is also playing bass and adding his insights and talent as co-producer. Seriously, he and Dean are so smart and so creative that most of the time Tam and I just sit back and listen (and learn). We spent a full day recording drum parts (real drum parts--tracks that will stay!), another day on bass, and a final day on guitar. 

On that last day we were joined by our guitarist, Daniel Smith. Tam took the opportunity to record some snippets, and you can hear them below. The first two come from a worship song I wrote called "Sing Hosanna to the King." (Keep in mind these aren't the real vocals. I mean, it's me singing, but I'll do better when it's for real.) 



I just love watching creative people at work. I love hearing the themes that Daniel, Jeramy, and Dean bring to something I wrote--creating layers of sound and movement. 

The next three are from my arrangement of "Oh Holy Night." This is my favorite Christmas song, and it's long been my dream to record it. I love what the drums, bass, and guitar have brought to this track. (You can hear Jeramy giving Daniel some specific direction on at least one of these.)




So, this is just a taste of what we have done so far. I hope it whets your appetite for what's to come. 

Comments

  1. There are some pretty smart people working on these songs - you definitely included.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion...

Dare to Trust

In the last several years of my teaching career, I have made a conscious decision to trust my students. As a part of my opening day speech, I tell my students that even though they have done nothing yet to earn my trust, I choose to trust them. I tell them that I am on their side and that I will believe what they say to me. If a student tells me his computer crashed just when he was about to send me his essay (the 21st century version of "the dog ate my homework"), I believe him. If a student says she is not ready for her quiz because she was at the hospital all night with her sick grandmother, I believe her. Or at least I act like I believe her, and frankly, most of the time I do. And if I find out one of my students has lied to me, I don't feel stupid. As one of my teacher mentors, Jeff Wilhelm, would say, "it's not my bad." It's not my job to suspect every student of lying and cheating. It is my job to teach, and I know that to teach well, I n...

I'm Counting

I can picture myself as a preschooler (back when preschool literally meant "before school"), discovering that I could count all the way to 100. What a joyful revelation! Forty-some years later, counting is still an important part of my life. I find comfort and joy in numbers.  I love watching the balance on my mortgage go down--even though it moves very, very slowly. And budgeting night is something I look forward to every month. In fact, I've been known to use it as a reward for myself: grade 20 essays and I get to budget! When I have a pile of essays to grade I make stacks of five or ten (depending on how long the essays are), and I give myself a reward for every stack (10 minutes to eat or watch television, for example).  To manage those really big jobs (like the senior research papers, which take about an hour each) I use a quota system. Once upon a time I thought grading 15 research papers in a week was a reasonable quota, but then my AP numbers grew...