Skip to main content

For Mom

When I was four or five my mom taught me to sing
“Nothing would be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning.”
and “You are my sunshine my only sunshine.”


I can picture us in our little house on West Fourth Street,
mom and me in the kitchen,  
her cooking and teaching me to harmonize.
(I suppose it would have been more practical
if she’d been teaching me how to cook,
but who needs practicality when you can sing--
when you can sing?)


Mom would tell me to stay with the melody,
while she sang the harmony part.
And then she’d say “now it’s your turn.”
Singing a third above or a third below the melody was easy enough.
It sounded right.
(Not that either of us talked about thirds.
This was about sound--about instinct--about the gift
of being able to hear what had always been there.)


It was like riding a bike.
As soon as I did it once or twice
It was easy as cake.


By the time I was six I was teaching the occasional
willing classmate how to harmonize
(or at least how to stay on the melody while I harmonized).
I was standing in the congregation every Sunday singing second soprano,
my young voice snuggled securely between
Grandma Martha’s alto and mom’s soprano.


Few things in this life have come so easily, but even this thing,
even this easy thing
needed someone to prime the pump.


So this is for my mom, for Patricia Jane,
who taught me how to hear, how to listen, how to sing.

Comments

  1. Such beautiful memories! Grandma taught me to harmonize. I remember sitting on that second row in church with voices lifted in song. Music was such wonderful a part of our lives!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This is My Story

In the spring of 1986 I told the story of my brother’s proposal as a part of my lesson on Shakespeare’s Sonnet 29 — a lesson that I was delivering in my English methods course as a senior at the University of Idaho.

Ten years and hundreds of students later, I was still teaching a version of that lesson to my freshmen at Kellogg High School, and the story had grown to be a more integral, a more intentional, a more dramatic part of that lesson. This story brought some sort of magic to my classroom. Students leaned in, faces and postures transformed, and sometimes tears welled up in their eyes. It was the best day of the school year.

When I moved to Timberline High School in the sixteenth year of my career, I was reluctant to bring my sonnet lesson to this new venue. Moving to a new school had brought an unexpected dip in my confidence. Storytelling calls for a certain amount of vulnerability, and I just wasn’t sure I had enough courage to go to that vulnerable place. One day I took the r…

Surely God is in This Place

A friend wrote today to tell me how our music had been a "necessary balm" during her stressful week. She described some of the events of her week, and I would have to say "stressful" is an understatement. Still, I was delighted to hear that our music had brought her some peace in the midst of it all.

But it was her final sentence that has lasted throughout my day: surely God is in this place.

I had checked my email, while my students watched a short film clip, and when I read that phrase I felt it down to the soles of my feet. I felt its impact so profoundly that I had to put it away for later. The lights were about to come up.

So tonight I went to her message again: surely God is in this place.
Surely God is in this place.

Of course I know this. I know He is an omnipresent God. I know He is sovereign. I know He has me (and He has you) in the palm of His hand. I know it.

But somehow my friend's words--coming as they did after a story of mishap and injury--helped me k…

Reflections on Running: Part One

Once upon a time, a girl started running. She was nursing a broken heart, and she needed to do something hard and rewarding. (Is easy ever rewarding? Hmmm, I wonder.) She stepped out of her back door and ran until she estimated she had gone as far as she could go . . . and still make it home. Later she discovered she had run just a little over a mile on that day.
Over the next three years she ran, sometimes with consistency — three or four days a week — sometimes with month-long gaps in between, and, during a particularly satisfying stretch, 5-6 days a week, training for two marathons in one year.
A pulmonary embolism in year six (and a scary doctor) slowed down her progress, and a demanding job made it easy to spend several months each year not running.
But still . . . every time she saw a runner on the road, she looked longingly. She remembered the joy of listening to footfalls landing, one after another, for miles and miles and miles. She remembered the rhythm of breath and beats an…