Skip to main content

Running Streak: Month Six

  • Ran in one state
  • Ran in one city (well, Meridian and Boise)
  • longest run: 6 miles
  • shortest run: 1 mile (minimum requirement to keep the streak alive)
  • total November mileage: 56  
  • total streak days (at the end of November): 183 (goal is 273, on February 28th).  
  • total streak mileage: 371 miles. Even with a bunch of one-milers, I am still averaging just over two miles per day.   
  • 29 solo days and 1 run with Tam. 
  • fastest mile: 8:25?
As with September and October, November brought a lot of one-milers and a couple of surprisingly fast runs. I continue to be amazed by these results. I'm busy, tired, running slow one-milers almost two-thirds of the time, and still getting faster. On November 6th I went out for a little three-mile run. The first mile was decent speed for me (9:07), and I figured I was on my way to a 27:30 run. My shock came when I checked out my second split and saw that I'd just run my fastest mile of the year: 8:25. At that point I gave the last mile all I had and finished with a new 2013 PR: 26:10. 

After this run I went through my running logs for the last 15 years to see how close I'm getting to lifetime records. I discovered that back in 2000-2001 I broke the 26-minute mark 5 times: 25:59, 25:56, 25:52, 25:25, and 24:41. I have always thought that those times were a result of my marathon training. I was regularly running 5-6 days a week, completing long runs (10-20 milers) each weekend, and surpassing 100 miles a month several times. Since my pulmonary embolism in 2004, I have been cautioned not to do marathon training again, and so I have long believed that those sub-26-minute 3-milers were a thing of the past. 

But here I am, averaging 60 miles a month, running easy 1-milers most of the time, and as of November 6th I was within 10 seconds of seeing that 25 on my watch again. 

And then came the Turkey Day 5k, on November 28th. 

I have two enormous regrets associated with this run: 
1. I forgot to charge my Garmin watch, so I was using my old-fashioned, non-GPS watch. 
2. I somehow missed the 1-mile sign.

If I had worn the Garmin or seen the sign, I might be able to report a new lifetime record for a single mile. My previous record is 8:09, and my 2013 record is 8:25. I am confident that I ran my first mile faster than 8:25. In fact, I very likely broke the 8:00-mark, but I'll never know for sure. This is what I do know: I ran my first mile and a half in 12:09, and my two-mile was 16:24. 

I also know that my first sideache in years slowed me down in the last mile (8:55). Fortunately, I did see the 3-mile sign, and I am pleased (and bewildered) to report that I smashed my 2013 3-mile PR by running a 25:19. Dude. That's the second fastest three miles of my life. 

How is this happening? Based on what I know about fitness, I would never have predicted that kind of speed would be the result of daily, mostly slow, mostly short running. I would never have predicted that I would run the second fastest three miles of my life just three months before my 50th birthday--with such low mileage and so little high-intensity training. 

All I can say is this: what a delightful surprise, and, thank you, God, for legs that can run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion

Believe in Your Seed

Twenty-five years ago, she was a student in my 10th-grade English class in Kellogg, a small mining town in Idaho’s panhandle. Now, she is an educator herself  — an elementary teacher in the same large district where I teach high school English. And today, she stood in front 3000 employees of the Boise School District and delivered a keynote address. Her speech was, to say the least, inspiring. It was expertly crafted — full of story, wit, insight, and charm. Her delivery was seamless, vivid, funny, and, quite frankly, better than any such talk I have heard in 31 years of opening meetings. (I say this as someone who is particularly passionate about public speaking. In fact, public speaking has become one of my greatest passions — both as a teacher who helps students craft presentations, and as someone who dreams of doing exactly what Sonia Galaviz did today.) As she spoke, I experienced her speech on several levels. I was the veteran teacher inspired by a somewhat younger t

I'm Counting

I can picture myself as a preschooler (back when preschool literally meant "before school"), discovering that I could count all the way to 100. What a joyful revelation! Forty-some years later, counting is still an important part of my life. I find comfort and joy in numbers.  I love watching the balance on my mortgage go down--even though it moves very, very slowly. And budgeting night is something I look forward to every month. In fact, I've been known to use it as a reward for myself: grade 20 essays and I get to budget! When I have a pile of essays to grade I make stacks of five or ten (depending on how long the essays are), and I give myself a reward for every stack (10 minutes to eat or watch television, for example).  To manage those really big jobs (like the senior research papers, which take about an hour each) I use a quota system. Once upon a time I thought grading 15 research papers in a week was a reasonable quota, but then my AP numbers grew