Skip to main content

Running Streak: Month Five

  • Ran in one state
  • Ran in one city (well, Meridian and Boise)
  • longest run: 7 miles
  • shortest run: 1 mile (minimum requirement to keep the streak alive)
  • total October mileage: 62 miles. I am beyond pleased with this number. I got off to a very slow start, mileage-wise, running only 10 miles in the first 8 days. A couple of 7-milers in the last week helped out a lot! 
  • total streak days (at the end of October): 153 (goal is 273, on February 28th). Obviously this means I passed the halfway mark this month. 
  • total streak mileage: 315 miles. Even with a bunch of one-milers, I am still averaging just over two miles per day.   
  • I believe I ran all 31 days by myself. 
  • fastest mile: 8:42. (see story below)
Last month I wrote about the pleasant surprise of running faster in September than I had all year. I was thrilled with my 27:22 three-miler in September. Still, in my typical guardedly pessimistic fashion, I did not expect great speed in October. Beyond my normal low expectations, I was also feeling under the weather most of the month. I have been beset by a sinus-type of headache (hormones? stress? allergies?) for weeks now, and the first nine days of the month were really miserable. On the evening of October 9th I was suffering mightily from a particularly bad version of this headache, and I was contemplating my ninth run in a row that would be a slow one or two-miler. For some reason, as I began to get ready, I had the instinct to put on my watch. In spite of my head, I decided I was in the mood to run a little faster and a little further. 

I knew it was going to be magic within the first 20 steps. (Some of you know about my magic runs. Some of you know why they don't happen so often any more. I may write a full entry about this phenomenon someday.) Still, for the first half mile, I was just thinking "maybe I'll break 27:22." At the first intersection my split was 4:36, not blazing fast for me, but it had potential. The shock began at the next intersection (half mile): 4:21. As I waited for the light to change, I kept checking the math in my head, trying to believe that I'd broken 9 minutes for this first mile. As I took off for mile number two, I was feeling great and pushing the pace, but still, when I saw the next mile split was 8:42, I was so stunned. That was only a second slower than my fastest mile of the year. And I was still going strong!

As it turned out, I smashed my 2013 three-mile record by almost a full minute: 26:23. I ran three sub-9-minute miles. And best of all, when I looked back at my running logs I discovered this was my fastest three-miler since 2001, when I was marathon training. When I was 37. And now I'm not--37, that is.

I can't escape the notion that this blog is all about tooting my own horn, and for that I am sorry. But for this, I am not: I hoped this streak would keep me moving, but I never once imagined it would allow me to run as fast as I did more than a decade ago--especially with so many slow one-milers. 

There is a lesson here, a sermon, perhaps. (In my dreams, it's a TED talk). There is something profound to be said about consistency, about commitment, and about running lots and lots of short, slow runs that lead to longer, faster runs. It's a lesson I need to learn over and over.

Thank you, God, for legs that can run.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion

Love: the Ultimate Pedagogy

I did not intend to love them; I did not particularly want to love them. I was never the bright-eyed rookie teacher out to change the world, one student at a time. I thought my job was to do the serious work of scholarship and academia. I was a professional — a high school English teacher. I was Miss Roberts, not your cookie-baking, kid-loving aunt.  But against my will and what I thought was my better judgment, I began to discover that I did love my students. At first I thought it was a surprising, pleasant side-effect of hanging out with the same people every week for nine months, but I did not consider it a valuable part of teaching. It seemed too flaky, too silly to even say out loud. The pivot point came after I changed schools, 15 years into my career. I loved my first job at Kellogg High School, my beloved hometown, but for a variety of reasons, in year 16 I made the move to the big city of Boise, 400 miles away. The transition was excruciating. I might as well have been

Believe in Your Seed

Twenty-five years ago, she was a student in my 10th-grade English class in Kellogg, a small mining town in Idaho’s panhandle. Now, she is an educator herself  — an elementary teacher in the same large district where I teach high school English. And today, she stood in front 3000 employees of the Boise School District and delivered a keynote address. Her speech was, to say the least, inspiring. It was expertly crafted — full of story, wit, insight, and charm. Her delivery was seamless, vivid, funny, and, quite frankly, better than any such talk I have heard in 31 years of opening meetings. (I say this as someone who is particularly passionate about public speaking. In fact, public speaking has become one of my greatest passions — both as a teacher who helps students craft presentations, and as someone who dreams of doing exactly what Sonia Galaviz did today.) As she spoke, I experienced her speech on several levels. I was the veteran teacher inspired by a somewhat younger t