Skip to main content

Running Streak: Month Three

  • Ran in one state
  • Ran in one city
  • longest run: 8 miles
  • shortest run: 1 mile (minimum requirement to keep the streak alive)
  • total August mileage: 76 miles. This is just one mile short of last month's total, although I went about it very differently. Unlike July, I went back to embracing the 1-milers, but I did it with a very specific purpose: so that I could increase my speed and distance on the other days. I did a much better job this month of alternating hard and easy runs. As a result, I did accomplish some faster times. I always count it a great success when I can average 9 minutes for at least three miles, and most summers, I get there (I managed a 27:27 three-miler this month). I'm guessing my 3-mile time was just a bit faster than that on my 5K, since my total time was 28:14. 
  • total streak mileage: 200 miles. Even with a bunch of 1-milers, I am still averaging more than 2 miles per day. 
  • I ran 24 times by myself and 7 times with others: Tammy, Amy J., and I celebrated mile 200 with Paul, Kevin, and Linda. I also ran two races this month. I did the running leg of a spring triathlon (just 2 miles), and I ran the After Dark Dash 5K with my friend Fitz and my eldest niece, Jenn.
  • slowest mile: I don't have an answer for this, although I'm sure the slowest miles came during my very hilly 8-miler with Amy Jones, way north on Eagle Road. That was such fun, challenging run. I look forward to doing it again sometime.
  • fastest mile: I'm not sure about this either. I didn't specifically time myself for a single, fast mile. I did run a 9-minute mile during the triathlon, and I think I ran an 8:50 during the first mile of the 5K, but I'm basing that on overhearing some other people talking, since I did not wear my Garmin, and I didn't see any mile markers. 
  • I also did my first two-a-day of the streak. I'd done an easy mile one Sunday afternoon, and then Tam texted later to see if I had run yet. I decided to run again with her, and we enjoyed an easy 3!

Last month I wrote that I expected July to be my highest mileage month, and it probably will be. But I was pleasantly surprised to run nearly as many miles in August. I have been back at school now for two weeks, and as I expected, fatigue is having an impact on my distance and speed.

On the other hand, I am still enjoying the self-imposed discipline of this streak. I am not any thinner, and I'm not much faster than a month ago, but I am stronger, both physically and mentally, than I have been in a long time. I love that I am running into 50, and by the grace of God, I'll be able to continue my streak for another six months (at least).



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion

Believe in Your Seed

Twenty-five years ago, she was a student in my 10th-grade English class in Kellogg, a small mining town in Idaho’s panhandle. Now, she is an educator herself  — an elementary teacher in the same large district where I teach high school English. And today, she stood in front 3000 employees of the Boise School District and delivered a keynote address. Her speech was, to say the least, inspiring. It was expertly crafted — full of story, wit, insight, and charm. Her delivery was seamless, vivid, funny, and, quite frankly, better than any such talk I have heard in 31 years of opening meetings. (I say this as someone who is particularly passionate about public speaking. In fact, public speaking has become one of my greatest passions — both as a teacher who helps students craft presentations, and as someone who dreams of doing exactly what Sonia Galaviz did today.) As she spoke, I experienced her speech on several levels. I was the veteran teacher inspired by a somewhat younger t

I'm Counting

I can picture myself as a preschooler (back when preschool literally meant "before school"), discovering that I could count all the way to 100. What a joyful revelation! Forty-some years later, counting is still an important part of my life. I find comfort and joy in numbers.  I love watching the balance on my mortgage go down--even though it moves very, very slowly. And budgeting night is something I look forward to every month. In fact, I've been known to use it as a reward for myself: grade 20 essays and I get to budget! When I have a pile of essays to grade I make stacks of five or ten (depending on how long the essays are), and I give myself a reward for every stack (10 minutes to eat or watch television, for example).  To manage those really big jobs (like the senior research papers, which take about an hour each) I use a quota system. Once upon a time I thought grading 15 research papers in a week was a reasonable quota, but then my AP numbers grew