Skip to main content

For Mom

When I was four or five my mom taught me to sing
“Nothing would be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning.”
and “You are my sunshine my only sunshine.”


I can picture us in our little house on West Fourth Street,
mom and me in the kitchen,  
her cooking and teaching me to harmonize.
(I suppose it would have been more practical
if she’d been teaching me how to cook,
but who needs practicality when you can sing--
when you can sing?)


Mom would tell me to stay with the melody,
while she sang the harmony part.
And then she’d say “now it’s your turn.”
Singing a third above or a third below the melody was easy enough.
It sounded right.
(Not that either of us talked about thirds.
This was about sound--about instinct--about the gift
of being able to hear what had always been there.)


It was like riding a bike.
As soon as I did it once or twice
It was easy as cake.


By the time I was six I was teaching the occasional
willing classmate how to harmonize
(or at least how to stay on the melody while I harmonized).
I was standing in the congregation every Sunday singing second soprano,
my young voice snuggled securely between
Grandma Martha’s alto and mom’s soprano.


Few things in this life have come so easily, but even this thing,
even this easy thing
needed someone to prime the pump.


So this is for my mom, for Patricia Jane,
who taught me how to hear, how to listen, how to sing.

Comments

  1. Such beautiful memories! Grandma taught me to harmonize. I remember sitting on that second row in church with voices lifted in song. Music was such wonderful a part of our lives!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On This Day

It was a very busy, long morning. I had back-to-back-to-back conferences with kids and parents and my principal that filled every break. Still, classes went mostly well, and I felt like I sort of knew how to teach. Then I went to cnn.com just as lunch was starting--just 5 minutes to spare before I had to meet parents. Wow. Just wow. I struggled to keep myself together. I didn't want to be crying when I met with the parents. But children--little children--shot and killed . . . . The parents were lovely, by the way, asking great questions about their son and telling me how much he likes my class, which really surprised them, because he's a math/science guy. Turns out he thinks I'm funny. I went straight to the church after work to continue working on our Christmas program. It's a huge undertaking, and I don't know how anyone could do it alone. I left feeling grateful for many hands and heads that make light work. And then I went to the Hungry Onion...

Dare to Trust

In the last several years of my teaching career, I have made a conscious decision to trust my students. As a part of my opening day speech, I tell my students that even though they have done nothing yet to earn my trust, I choose to trust them. I tell them that I am on their side and that I will believe what they say to me. If a student tells me his computer crashed just when he was about to send me his essay (the 21st century version of "the dog ate my homework"), I believe him. If a student says she is not ready for her quiz because she was at the hospital all night with her sick grandmother, I believe her. Or at least I act like I believe her, and frankly, most of the time I do. And if I find out one of my students has lied to me, I don't feel stupid. As one of my teacher mentors, Jeff Wilhelm, would say, "it's not my bad." It's not my job to suspect every student of lying and cheating. It is my job to teach, and I know that to teach well, I n...

I'm Counting

I can picture myself as a preschooler (back when preschool literally meant "before school"), discovering that I could count all the way to 100. What a joyful revelation! Forty-some years later, counting is still an important part of my life. I find comfort and joy in numbers.  I love watching the balance on my mortgage go down--even though it moves very, very slowly. And budgeting night is something I look forward to every month. In fact, I've been known to use it as a reward for myself: grade 20 essays and I get to budget! When I have a pile of essays to grade I make stacks of five or ten (depending on how long the essays are), and I give myself a reward for every stack (10 minutes to eat or watch television, for example).  To manage those really big jobs (like the senior research papers, which take about an hour each) I use a quota system. Once upon a time I thought grading 15 research papers in a week was a reasonable quota, but then my AP numbers grew...